2 passengers die after rollover crash on I-15 in Iron County
PARAGONAH, Iron County — Two people died Sunday morning after a rollover crash on I-15 in Iron County.
Hamdiyan Salman, 74, and Zahara Ismael, 14, of San Diego, California, were riding in the second row in a 2003 Honda Odyssey going northbound when its right rear tire “experienced failure” about 7:25 a.m. according to the Utah Department of Public Safety.
The driver lost control, the vehicle traveled into the median and rolled about two times. Neither Ismael nor Salman was wearing a seat belt at the time, the department said; they were both ejected from the vehicle.
Southbound I-15 is now open. Northbound is being diverted off of the on ramp and right back onto I-15.
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) May 17, 2020
Ismael died at the scene, and Salman was transported to the hospital to meet a medical helicopter for further transport. She died from her injuries at the hospital, however.
The female driver and a front-seat male passenger were both restrained and sustained injuries that are not believed to be life-threatening, the department said. They were transported to area hospitals for treatment.
The rollover crash caused vehicles to be diverted off the highway for about 2.5 hours, though the department said it caused “minimal impact to traffic.” The highway was reopened about 10:50 a.m.
Today’s Top Stories
- Cottonwood High School wins football game in bizarre fashion
- What differentiates BYU’s MBA program from other MBA programs
- September was the hottest month in Salt Lake City and it wasn’t close
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Day 1 in ‘landmark case’ for animal rights
- DWR officials taking steps to protect California condors
- Man in possession of fentanyl pills, heroin arrested at SLC airport
- Body found in Arches National Park Saturday
- Utah Gov. turns 56 bills into new Utah laws, several involve Bears Ears