WENDOVER, Utah — An early morning fire consumed one building and severely damaged another at a Utah Department of Transportation facility in Wendover on Wednesday.
Arson in Wendover
Fire crews responded to a call of a fire around 3:15 a.m. at a UDOT employee compound near at 1819 Frontage Road.
Wendover Public Safety Director Ken Quirk says one of the trailers burned to the frame and they were working into the late morning to extinguish the remaining flames in another.
An early-morning fire destroyed one @UtahDOT housing unit and heavily damaged another in Wendover. Wendover Fire officials tell me they believe a tenant set the fire. They’re trying to find that person now. @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/bxzwJ2CmsX
— Sean Moody (@SeanMoodyKSL) August 5, 2020
Investigators believe the fire was intentionally set and say one suspect is still at large.
“We’ve had multiple issues with one of the tenants out here,” says Quirk. “This kind of piggy backs the investigation we have right now with the police department fire marshal.”
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 8831)
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map (pageviews: 5008)
- Jordan School District closes Riverton High School Thursday and Friday (pageviews: 2079)
- Utah sets COVID-19 records for single day and rolling average increases | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1888)
- Utah sets COVID-19 records for single day and rolling average increases (pageviews: 1719)
- VIDEO: Police shooting in Holladay sends one person to hospital | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1060)
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87 (pageviews: 932)
- Coronavirus Tracker (pageviews: 905)