Firefighters return home from battling wildfires in California and Oregon
Sep 26, 2020, 12:10 PM | Updated: 12:34 pm
(Will Lester/The Orange County Register/SCNG via AP)
SALT LAKE CITY — Some 66 local firefighters are back home this morning from fires on the west coast, happy to sleep in their own beds after weeks battling wildfires in California and Oregon.
Unified Fire Authority’s Matthew McFarland says some of the fires they saw were pretty intense in the midst of a particularly brutal fire season.
Utah Wildland Task Force 1 worked to save homes and hundreds of thousands of acres from burning.
The crews that arrived home will have the weekend off before getting back to work on their regular shifts next week.
Conditions for fires not only out west but here at home are expected to escalate this weekend.
Today’s Top Stories
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Bountiful woman arrested after allegedly stealing $6,000 from patient
- Sen. Mike Lee fends off 2 opponents to win Utah GOP primary
- Breyer makes it official: He’s leaving the Supreme Court on Thursday at noon
- Suspect taken into custody after firing shots in Kearns
- Intermountain Healthcare study finds “better” IV fluid treatment
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- Two people are in critical condition following two-vehicle car crash
- SLCPD shuts down area near 700 East following fight at yoga studio