Firefighters return home from battling wildfires in California and Oregon
Sep 26, 2020, 12:10 PM | Updated: 12:34 pm
(Will Lester/The Orange County Register/SCNG via AP)
SALT LAKE CITY — Some 66 local firefighters are back home this morning from fires on the west coast, happy to sleep in their own beds after weeks battling wildfires in California and Oregon.
Unified Fire Authority’s Matthew McFarland says some of the fires they saw were pretty intense in the midst of a particularly brutal fire season.
Utah Wildland Task Force 1 worked to save homes and hundreds of thousands of acres from burning.
The crews that arrived home will have the weekend off before getting back to work on their regular shifts next week.
Conditions for fires not only out west but here at home are expected to escalate this weekend.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- Vehicle collides with unoccupied building in Roy, no injuries
- First Presidency issues 2022 Christmas message
- One person dies on hike at Zion National Park, another hospitalized
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Walmart shooter left ‘death note,’ bought gun day of killing
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]