LEHI, Utah – A dashcam video of a car almost hitting a semi truck on I-15 in Lehi has some truck drivers asking the Utah Department of Transportation to fix lane striping issues in the area.
Ivan Souza, who owns Silver Hawk Freight in Lindon, told KSL-TV that he got concerned after a computer system recently showed one of his big rigs had to break hard on southbound I-15 near the Point of the Mountain.
That’s when he saw the dashcam video from the truck, which showed that a car had almost collided with the big rig.
Souza says the problem is there are both solid and dotted lines on I-15 in that area, and that can be confusing for drivers.
“What I noticed first was that the [sedan] driver was following the dotted line, and he did not notice that it was shifting to the left,” Souza says.
Luckily, the driver of the car was able to correct. But Souza says there could have been a bigger problem if more cars were on the road at the time.
That’s why he and other truckers want UDOT to fix the lanes.
“The previous markings are not being covered properly, which causes confusion to a driver,” Souza said. “But I had other drivers mention that the lane there shifts. This time we were able to catch it on video.”
UDOT spokesman John Gleeson told KSL-TV that the problem is related to construction, but crews are planning on fixing it within the next two months.
“For the temporary striping, we actually have tape that’s adhesive. When you pull up the tape, it can sometimes leave behind residue. And, so, we’re going to look to go in there and see if we can clean up that residue,” Gleeson said.
- VIDEO: Cougar follows man running near Provo for 6 minutes (pageviews: 2930)
- VIDEO: Cougar follows man running near Provo for 6 minutes (pageviews: 2212)
- VIDEO: Cougar follows man running near Provo for 6 minutes | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1533)
- McCluskeys and U of U reach settlement agreement in death of student (pageviews: 1522)
- #StandUnited: Peterson and Cox issue joint PSA on political civility (pageviews: 1313)
- Utah sets another record for single day COVID-19 infections (pageviews: 1227)
- Senator Romney says he did not vote for President Trump (pageviews: 975)
- UDOT estimates I-15 will remain closed until at least 10 a.m. (pageviews: 954)