Utah health leaders predict increase in COVID-19 cases
SALT LAKE CITY — Officials with University of Utah Health are predicting an increase in statewide COVID-19 cases during the next couple of weeks.
An increase in COVID cases could be coming
The outlook comes after some areas, including Davis and Wasatch counties, have already experienced an uptick in positive cases.
Dr. Russell Vinik, of University of Utah Health, said health-care workers are closely monitoring the U.K. variant of the coronavirus.
“As of last week, the signals indicate that about 40 percent of the positive cases that we diagnose are the U.K. variant,” said Vinik. “That’s a very rapid increase, and that likely is contributing to the increase of cases we’re seeing statewide and may have something to do with the pockets we’re seeing as well.”
Additionally, he thinks the moderate increase in cases for Davis and Wasatch counties are a precursor of things to come on a larger scale.
“We do expect to see cases to be increasing over the next few weeks, particularly as the U.K. variant is growing so quickly,” he said.
The total number of vaccines administered is 1,916,922. (1.9 million) https://t.co/kyAxM733Gq
— Deseret News (@DeseretNews) April 20, 2021
Symptomatic hospitalizations staying steady
Despite some troubling trends in case counts, the good news is that hospitalization rates have been staying fairly steady.
Data provided by University of Utah Health show 32 symptomatic patients across its system last week. Going back the previous three weeks, that number has never been higher than 33 or lower than 29.
When narrowed to just U of U Health’s Redwood Road location, which addresses a more underserved community, there were only 8 symptomatic patients last week.
Vinik added that the state is continuing to move closer to herd immunity. It should be a realistic achievement if the vaccination trajectory remains steady.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- SLCPD officer witnesses wrong-way drunk driver crash into embankment
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- China says it ‘reserves the right’ to deal with ‘similar situations’…
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says