Need work? Salt Lake City International Airport has big jobs shortage
SALT LAKE CITY – Salt Lake City International Airport could really use more employees as jobs are open at nearly every level.
“One food outlet mentioned that they were down by 40-50%,” said airport spokeswoman Nancy Volmer. “One of the retail outlets said they were down 25-30%.”
Traveling this holiday weekend?
Be sure to allow extra time to navigate #TheNewSLC Airport and checkout the stylish shops. M.A.C.–now open in Concourse A–offers a wide range of makeup products that blend street savvy with glamorous style and panache. pic.twitter.com/8fEr96d5Bq
— SaltLakeCityAirport (@slcairport) May 28, 2021
Airport jobs open in all areas
Salt Lake airport officials say they have jobs open and labor shortages in all areas: Transportation Security Administration (TSA), maintenance, ground crews and so on. All of them need more workers. If things don’t change, Volmer says it could affect travelers.
“The hours of the shops and the restaurants might be reduced,” Volmer warned. “For the security checkpoints, the lines will be longer.”
With TSA, what we do is more than just a job. It’s a mission. We’re currently hiring Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) at airports across the country. Sign-on as a TSO by Sept. 30 and you could earn a $1,000 bonus! Apply today: https://t.co/Ph4yp5NR05 #TSAJobs #NowHiring pic.twitter.com/LpJPCXd8bX
— TSA (@TSA) June 3, 2021
The airport ran under reduced operations through the pandemic, even after opening its new terminal last year. But as travel demand is on the rise again, the side effects of the labor shortage get even worse.
“When we first opened the airport, we didn’t have all of our restaurants and shops open because of the pandemic. Those are slowly coming online, and some of them are finding they can’t get the workers to open at their full hours,” she said.
This is good news for job seekers. If you’re looking for work, visit slcairport.com.
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes boom that rattles Salt Lake Valley
- UPDATE: Family of missing Stanton Porter releases statement regarding his death
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Three people charged after staged kidnapping for YouTube video, police say
- SLCPD activate OICI following the death of a suspect in police custody
- Some Capitol rioters try to profit from their Jan. 6 crimes
- American Fork Police take Walmart shooting suspect into custody
- Woman warns of being followed at local store, police say you should report it
- EB off ramp at 3300 S, I-15 closed after a car hit a pedestrian
- Children among dozens killed in Egypt church fire