SALT LAKE CITY – Salt Lake City International Airport could really use more employees as jobs are open at nearly every level.
“One food outlet mentioned that they were down by 40-50%,” said airport spokeswoman Nancy Volmer. “One of the retail outlets said they were down 25-30%.”
Traveling this holiday weekend?
Be sure to allow extra time to navigate #TheNewSLC Airport and checkout the stylish shops. M.A.C.–now open in Concourse A–offers a wide range of makeup products that blend street savvy with glamorous style and panache. pic.twitter.com/8fEr96d5Bq
— SaltLakeCityAirport (@slcairport) May 28, 2021
Airport jobs open in all areas
Salt Lake airport officials say they have jobs open and labor shortages in all areas: Transportation Security Administration (TSA), maintenance, ground crews and so on. All of them need more workers. If things don’t change, Volmer says it could affect travelers.
“The hours of the shops and the restaurants might be reduced,” Volmer warned. “For the security checkpoints, the lines will be longer.”
With TSA, what we do is more than just a job. It’s a mission. We’re currently hiring Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) at airports across the country. Sign-on as a TSO by Sept. 30 and you could earn a $1,000 bonus! Apply today: https://t.co/Ph4yp5NR05 #TSAJobs #NowHiring pic.twitter.com/LpJPCXd8bX
— TSA (@TSA) June 3, 2021
The airport ran under reduced operations through the pandemic, even after opening its new terminal last year. But as travel demand is on the rise again, the side effects of the labor shortage get even worse.
“When we first opened the airport, we didn’t have all of our restaurants and shops open because of the pandemic. Those are slowly coming online, and some of them are finding they can’t get the workers to open at their full hours,” she said.
This is good news for job seekers. If you’re looking for work, visit slcairport.com.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Pioneer Day Parade: Road closures, times, and how to watch
- Church missionaries killed in head-on collision
- Fun facts about the Olympics
- St. George police officer dead after a two-week battle with COVID-19
- How to watch every single event at the Tokyo Olympics
- Man arrested after reportedly opening fire and barricading himself in West Jordan home
- To keep your green lawn during drought, listen to the pro
- Salt Lake City creates tiny home design contest as possible housing shortage solution
- Secondary water shutdown coming to parts of Davis and Weber Counties
- How the city of Mapleton managed to avoid a flooding disaster