SOUTH SALT LAKE – The search continues for a woman last seen at a South Salt Lake convenience store last week. It is possible that the incident was a kidnapping as investigators believe she was taken against her will and they haven’t been able to contact the woman who reportedly took her.
Officers say Shylene “Shy” White Mortensen was last spotted inside a gold or tan Ford Explorer at the 7-11 on 3300 South near 300 West on June 3rd. Investigators say three people were inside the vehicle, but when the male passenger got out, the driver left with Mortensen in tow.
“As he goes to pay for the gas, the driver takes off in the vehicle,” says South Salt Lake Police Spokesperson Danielle Croyle. “The victim is yelling, ‘Stop! Stop!’ and it’s observed that the driver tells her to shut up and they take off out of the area.”
The male passenger reportedly called police and is cooperating with investigators. However, Croyle says they haven’t been able to find the driver, Kayla Alanna Hauck. Police have received calls from people who claim they know Mortensen and say she’s safe, but Croyle says, in a possible kidnapping case, they can’t just take the tipster at their word.
“We need to be able to have a conversation with her and have her in [our] physical vision to make sure she’s ok,” she says.
Hauck is described as 5’8”, 120 pounds with long dark hair. Mortensen is described as 5’4”, 130 pounds with brown and blond hair with a marijuana leaf tattoo on her right shoulder and a peace sign on her back.
Mortensen was officially listed as a missing person in Salt Lake City before this alleged abduction.
“Until we can verify and determine that it’s something else other than a kidnapping, we’re treating it as a kidnapping,” Croyle says.
Today’s Top Stories
- Arizona couple drowns at Deer Creek Reservoir, neither wearing life vest
- Father drowns at Pineview trying to retrieve son
- Utah Adventures Are Waiting for Your Student | Experience One of the Best Summer School…
- 7 things you didn’t know about ketamines for pain, depression, stress, and recovery…
- School suspends social media accounts, district investigates reason for leaving student out…
- 6 common questions about treasury management services
- How the 2020 recession in the US is affecting Americans in 2021 and into the future –…
- John Stockton, Jazz legend, appears in anti-vaccine documentary trailer
- Southeastern Idaho has surprising and fun adventures for the whole family and you need to…
- Namath excited for Zach Wilson, says Jets fans ‘deserve’ a title