Report: there are 3 open jobs for every 1 unemployed Utahn
SALT LAKE CITY — A new report from the Pew Charitable Trusts showed there are more open jobs across the country than there are unemployed Americans.
There are 42 states in the U.S. with more available jobs than job seekers and Utah nearly has the most. The report showed there are three open jobs for every one unemployed Utahn.
Open leisure and hospitality jobs
Local economists said employers are having the hardest time finding lower-skilled and lower-paid workers. The leisure and hospitality industries are suffering the most.
Pew experts said the ongoing labor shortage is the worst the country has seen since the late 1960s.
Economists noted the situation gives job seekers more bargaining power, but could also strain economic growth.
For the full report, visit the Pew Charitable Trusts website.
- Not as many Utahns quit their jobs in September as the rest of the country
- Labor shortage impacts hospitality and ski industry, could offer new careers
- High inflation might strain holiday budgets
Today’s Top Stories
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- ‘Senseless crime’: The victims of July Fourth shootings
- Utah County announces first female chief investigator
- Unopened 1987 Nintendo video game could sell for $10,000
- Driver overcorrected, flipped tour bus in crash that killed four near Bryce Canyon
- West Coast faces heat wave this week as wildfires rage
- 4 injured when SUV crashes into St. George In-N-Out
- State of Utah files lawsuit against pharmaceutical retailers
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- In a world gripped by fear, marble racing proves welcome distraction