Pack extra time, patience if using Salt Lake International Airport this week
SALT LAKE CITY — The message this week from the 21st busiest airport in North America is this: Be patient and get there early.
Salt Lake City International Airport Spokeswoman Nancy Volmer said the busiest travel days will be on Dec. 22, 23, and 24. They expect things to get busy again on Jan. 2.
On each of these days, about 25,000 passengers are expected to depart from the airport.
If you haven’t been to the airport in a while, there’ve been a lot of changes. Those include, in some instances, a long walk to get to your gate. And that’s one more reason to give yourself some extra time.
Travelers at the Salt Lake International Airport are asked to wear masks and to practice social distancing.
Passengers flying home (or elsewhere) for the holidays will enjoy the SLC Airport halls and concourses decked out in decorative décor, including 37 nutcrackers, 1,600 poinsettias, 47 wreaths, 18 trees and 1,000 ft. of garland. pic.twitter.com/H1EdzNFBhT
— SaltLakeCityAirport (@slcairport) December 18, 2021
Save yourself time at the airport this week
Check the webpage
If you are traveling this week, assure your flight is on-time by scanning the airline’s webpage (or app). There may be weather in Salt Lake City or at the connecting or final destination that may impact when your flight leaves.
Reserve parking in advance
Click here to reserve a parking spot in either the long-term or economy parking lots. Also, did you know that you can now ride TRAX all the way to an airport terminal? No more shuttle busses!
Check-in electronically and arrive early
By checking in electronically with your airline, you can save time and hassle at the airport and have a more enjoyable experience. Assure an even more enjoyable experience by arriving two hours before your scheduled boarding time for domestic flights, and three hours for international flights. (Hint: on the busiest days of the holiday travel season, airport officials expect 25,000 passengers to pass through security.)
Look for Salt Lake International Airport Ambassadors
Airport Ambassadors will be scattered throughout the airport to help passengers who may need directions or have other questions during the holiday season.
Other reading you may enjoy:
- UTA offers free ride on TRAX to SLC International Airport
- Delays, cancellations stacking up at Salt Lake City airport
- Airport traffic up from last year, but not quite to pre-pandemic levels
Today’s Top Stories
- After celebrity death to colon cancer, Utah doctor weighs in on colonoscopy
- Update: Some I-15 lanes reopen after hazmat spill in Bluffdale
- Two Utah experts talk about prisoner swap for WNBA player Brittney Griner
- Families of Hunter High shooting victims unhappy with plea deal
- Downtown Ogden expansion project begins finalizing plans
- Provo Police looking for information about two cars in deadly hit-and-run
- West Jordan Elementary School is closing its gates after 40 years
- Members of the council explain the Salt Lake County library tax
- SWAT standoff in Tooele ends peacefully, no further threat to public
- Sundance Film Festival is seeking volunteers for 2023 event