CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Salt Lake City police make an arrest in a home invasion shooting
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City Police Department announced Monday it has arrested a 20-year-old in connection to a home invasion shooting on Jan. 19.
The investigation into this case began on Jan. 19 when officers from Salt Lake City police responded to 764 North 900 West for reports of a shooting. When authorities arrived at the scene, they discovered a 24-year-old male, who had been shot in the upper leg. The victim was taken to an area hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.
Through the investigation, authorities discovered that at least two male suspects kicked in the apartment unit’s door. Additionally, police also learned during the investigation that one of the suspects shot the victim while standing in the doorway.
Detectives with the Salt Lake City Police Department’s Robbery Squad immediately investigated the home invasion shooting, which included a court-ordered warrant. During the course of the investigation, authorities were able to confirm the identity of one of the suspects.
On Monday, Charles Wight was taken into custody and booked into the Salt Lake County Metro Jail under investigation for one count of aggravated burglary and one count of aggravated assault resulting in serious bodily injury, according to a police press release.
Detectives from the Salt Lake City Police Department continue to investigate the case. Police are asking anyone who may know the identity or the whereabouts of the other suspect to call 801-799-3000.
No other information on this case is being released at this time, police say.
- Salt Lake City police say gun thefts up 24%
- Salt Lake City police investigate stabbing at Flying J
- Salt Lake City police says response times are decreasing
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Five-planet alignment may be visible in Tuesday night’s sky
- Prison sentence reduced for ‘Real Housewives of SLC’ star Jen Shah
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- Body of snowmobiler found following avalanche in Pole Canyon
- Utah psychiatrist peers into dark mind of school shooter
- Hear it Firsthand: 6 Students Share Their Executive MBA Experience at BYU’s Marriott School…
- Body found by passersby on southbound I-15 at 600 North
- Gunfire with SWAT and seizure of narcotics leads to trafficker imprisonment
- Salt Lake County Animal Services looking for a home for Amy Swinehouse
- Van bridge in place after S-Line loses power