Salt Lake City police make an arrest in a home invasion shooting
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City Police Department announced Monday it has arrested a 20-year-old in connection to a home invasion shooting on Jan. 19.
The investigation into this case began on Jan. 19 when officers from Salt Lake City police responded to 764 North 900 West for reports of a shooting. When authorities arrived at the scene, they discovered a 24-year-old male, who had been shot in the upper leg. The victim was taken to an area hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.
Through the investigation, authorities discovered that at least two male suspects kicked in the apartment unit’s door. Additionally, police also learned during the investigation that one of the suspects shot the victim while standing in the doorway.
Detectives with the Salt Lake City Police Department’s Robbery Squad immediately investigated the home invasion shooting, which included a court-ordered warrant. During the course of the investigation, authorities were able to confirm the identity of one of the suspects.
On Monday, Charles Wight was taken into custody and booked into the Salt Lake County Metro Jail under investigation for one count of aggravated burglary and one count of aggravated assault resulting in serious bodily injury, according to a police press release.
Detectives from the Salt Lake City Police Department continue to investigate the case. Police are asking anyone who may know the identity or the whereabouts of the other suspect to call 801-799-3000.
No other information on this case is being released at this time, police say.
- Salt Lake City police say gun thefts up 24%
- Salt Lake City police investigate stabbing at Flying J
- Salt Lake City police says response times are decreasing
Today’s Top Stories
- Morning storms impact school schedules
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Moscow police say 6th person on lease isn’t involved in Idaho homicides
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- Suspect in I-15 shooting named, booked into jail
- Back-to-back winter storms bring heavy snow, critical fire conditions to the West
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- SuperAgers — who are they, are you one, and can you become one?
- Semi rollover on Legacy Highway reduces traffic to one lane