Hit-and-run that killed pedestrian in a wheelchair still under investigation
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City Police Department said it is still investigating a hit-and-run that happened over the weekend. Police said this was the ninth traffic-related fatality in Salt Lake this year.
SLCPD said a driver hit a pedestrian in a wheelchair who was crossing West Temple near 800 South on Saturday.
The 65-year-old pedestrian, Martin Minteer, died at the scene.
Officers were alerted to the hit-and-run after receiving information from SLC911 on Saturday night.
Witnesses told officers at the scene that the driver did not immediately stop and continued onto West Temple.
The officers performed CPR but the pedestrian, Minteer, died on the scene according to SLCPD.
The police department said that the driver, along with some family members, approached officers near the scene a few hours after police had arrived. Officers secured the vehicle involved in the crash.
Police added that the driver is cooperative. SLCPD has not released the driver’s identity.
Police said they are still investigating the victim’s exact location and the speed of the vehicle. No arrests have been made.
SLCPD added that it is consulting the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office to determine if there should be any charges and what they would be.
The investigation involves the Crash Analysis Reconstruction team, referred to as CAR, and the SLCPD Crime Lab. Police said both teams responded to the scene.
The CAR team investigates crashes involving serious physical injuries or death, according to SLCPD. The department added that the CAR team is multi-jurisdictional and includes SLCPD as well as other law enforcement agencies in Salt Lake Valley.
The CAR team receives “specialized training in collision examination, speed analysis, vehicle dynamics” and more, according to SLCPD.
Today’s Top Stories
- Victim in fatal auto pedestrian crash was 11 years old, investigation continues
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Utah Air National Guard Airman dies during routine deployment
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Two people hurt in auto-pedestrian collision in Orem
- 18-year-old connected to Orem shooting turns himself in
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat
- Utah’s Coordinated Action Plan for Water released this week
- Officer-involved shooting causes delays on I-15 in Davis County