SALT LAKE CITY
Hit-and-run that killed pedestrian in a wheelchair still under investigation
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City Police Department said it is still investigating a hit-and-run that happened over the weekend. Police said this was the ninth traffic-related fatality in Salt Lake this year.
SLCPD said a driver hit a pedestrian in a wheelchair who was crossing West Temple near 800 South on Saturday.
The 65-year-old pedestrian, Martin Minteer, died at the scene.
Officers were alerted to the hit-and-run after receiving information from SLC911 on Saturday night.
Witnesses told officers at the scene that the driver did not immediately stop and continued onto West Temple.
The officers performed CPR but the pedestrian, Minteer, died on the scene according to SLCPD.
The police department said that the driver, along with some family members, approached officers near the scene a few hours after police had arrived. Officers secured the vehicle involved in the crash.
Police added that the driver is cooperative. SLCPD has not released the driver’s identity.
Police said they are still investigating the victim’s exact location and the speed of the vehicle. No arrests have been made.
SLCPD added that it is consulting the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office to determine if there should be any charges and what they would be.
The investigation involves the Crash Analysis Reconstruction team, referred to as CAR, and the SLCPD Crime Lab. Police said both teams responded to the scene.
The CAR team investigates crashes involving serious physical injuries or death, according to SLCPD. The department added that the CAR team is multi-jurisdictional and includes SLCPD as well as other law enforcement agencies in Salt Lake Valley.
The CAR team receives “specialized training in collision examination, speed analysis, vehicle dynamics” and more, according to SLCPD.
UPDATED: 2 dead after shooting at Draper party
Community works to rally around teens killed in rollover
Murray woman’s puppy stolen out of her yard
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Three people killed in two-vehicle crash on US-89 in Logan Canyon
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
- Nine soldiers killed after Army helicopters crash in Kentucky
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- Alpine School District exploring potential closure of 5 elementary schools
- U.S. Department of Labor says Sodalicious violated child labor laws
- Utah’s online marriage licensing gets attention all over the world
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s ski collision trial continues with defense
- Prison sentence reduced for ‘Real Housewives of SLC’ star Jen Shah