Taylorsville police make an arrest in a Wednesday night shooting
TAYLORSVILLE, Utah — Taylorsville Police have made an arrest in a shooting from Wednesday night that left two men injured.
According to police, officers were called to the Atherton Park Apartments Wednesday evening at 7 p.m. Once on scene, officers discovered two men who had been shot in their legs. Police say the injuries were non-life-threatening.
According to the police investigation, a group of men was outside the apartments when another man showed up. Police say that several people then exchanged gunfire.
Two men from the group chased after the other man, and fired shots at him, police say.
Taylorsville shooting arrest
The man arrested in connection to the shooting is 20-year-old Francisco Estrada. According to the probable cause statement, Estrada was originally questioned as a witness. As the investigation progressed, however, police discovered Estrada to be one of the alleged shooters.
In a post-Miranda interview, Estrada acknowledged to police that he was in possession of a firearm, while on court probation.
The probable cause statement also states, “Witnesses observed Estrada and the other male victim (friends) provide their firearms to an unidentified party prior to officers’ arrival to the scene. Estrada claims that he did not know the person who he and his friend provided the firearms to.”
Estrada has been booked into the Salt Lake County Jail under investigation for two counts of felony discharge of a firearm, a third-degree felony. He has also been booked under investigation for possession of a firearm by a restricted person, a third-degree felony, and obstruction of justice, a third-degree felony.
Police say the investigation is ongoing. Additional suspects are being sought. Police are asking anyone with information on this incident to call 801-963-5400.
Today’s Top Stories
- Police say Herriman woman tried to bribe an officer
- Black bear captured in Morgan County
- Fire sets off a propane explosion in Pleasant Grove
- California churchgoers detained gunman in deadly attack
- Be over the moon because total lunar eclipse coming Sunday to Utah
- Dog thrown out of car taken in by South Salt Lake Animal Services
- iPhone sale gone wrong results in the arrest of a Salt Lake City man
- A notorius ice skating hitman finds redemption through his sister’s eyes
- Man found dead from self-inflicted wound following SWAT situation
- Abbott says agreement reached to reopen baby formula plant