House Speaker Brad Wilson claims there is pornography in Utah schools
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah’s Speaker of the House, Brad Wilson, is claiming there is pornography in Utah school libraries. Wilson has sent a letter to the state school board demanding that they enforce a new law that bans sensitive materials.
“There have been ongoing attempts to misrepresent H.B. 374‘s intent and prevent its full implementation,” Wilson said in a press release. “It is our responsibility to ensure the success and well-being of Utah students, even if it requires difficult decisions and conversations.”
Speaker Wilson told KSL NewsRadio he won’t name yet the specific districts or schools.
He says at first, he thought parents may be overreacting, but then they brought him the books.
“Even if you looked at a work, on the whole, we’re clearly, clearly over the line, and [it has] no business being in our public schools,” Wilson said.
A letter from Brad Wilson
Speaker Wilson sent a letter to the state school board demanding they enforce the new law. The law just took effect on May 4. The board sent guidance from the Attorney General’s office outlining when libraries can and can’t remove a book and a link to report those books.
The state board has issued a response to Wilson’s allegations.
“The Board continues to work with the Office of the Attorney General to provide the best legal guidance to districts and charters school on handling sensitive materials in schools,” State Board Chair Mark Huntsman said. “We are also moving expeditiously and judiciously to comply with all aspects of H.B. 374.”
The Board’s complete response can be found here.
Devin Oldroyd contributed to this story
- House Speaker Brad Wilson backs a trio of police reform bills
- The Safe UT app catches a large amount of threats to Utah schools
- State says Orem did nothing wrong in hiring process for school feasibility study
Today’s Top Stories
- New dress code gives West High School students more leeway
- Man in extremely critical condition following motorcycle accident in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Woman dies in SLC shooting, suspect arrested
- Bluffdale crash involving semi-truck kills one
- One person in critical condition after Sunday night shooting
- Double stabbing sends grandmother and grandson to the hospital
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: Photos of topless women at U of U football game who may face charges
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Crash in Vernon closes Highway 36