Davis School District announces its Teacher of the Year award
FARMINGTON, Utah — Davis School District has named Andrew Bird as its Teacher of the Year for the 2021-22 school year.
Bird teaches medical anatomy and other health science topics at Woods Cross High School. The announcement was made Thursday morning at the school during a pep assembly.
Bird has been a teacher for seven years before starting out a career in health science. He juggles both careers as he works at a hospital on the weekends. Additionally, Bird also serves as the school’s swim and dive coach.
The 30 Best of Davis Award winners are used by the district to determine its Teacher of the Year.
Bird was nominated by a member of the swim and dive team.
“Despite his doubtlessly insane personal life, he never talks about his own problems and rarely lets a bad day ruin his demeanor or how he treats other people,” said Abel Chomjak in a press release. “Everyone that interacts with Bird comes away, not only happier, but a better person as they see his example and wisdom.”
As a result of the award, Bird will represent Davis School District at the state level. Additionally, he has been awarded a one-year lease, maintenance and insurance coverage on a new Kia Sportage by Young Automotive Group and Goldenwest Credit Union.
“He has absolute, complete, and total commitment to his students,” said Dr. Logan Toone, assistant superintendent for Davis School District. “He loves them, he gives time to them. He spends nights and weekends working for him.”
- Weber High teacher named 2022 Utah Teacher of the Year
- Western Governors University, Canyons District join to combat teacher shortages
Today’s Top Stories
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- BYU students win international award for video game
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Senate passes Romney-sponsored bill to fund Great Salt Lake study
- Snowball Express arrives at Salt Lake City Airport
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral