With Roe v. Wade now overturned, could same-sex marriage be next?
In a concurring opinion of the ruling, Justice Clarence Thomas stated the court should examine other precedents. Among those is the 2015 ruling by the Supreme Court that legalized same-size marriages.
This is of great concern to Utah Sen. Derek Kitchen, D-Salt Lake City, who has made efforts to legalize gay marriage in the past. Earlier this month, Kitchen began the process to codify marriage equality under Utah law.
“I’m incredibly troubled with Justice Clarence Thomas’ concurring opinion,” Kitchen said to KSL NewsRadio Friday.
Kitchen says what Thomas expressed is a deterrent to the progress made in society.
“This is actually undercutting fundamental rights that we’ve achieved in the last decade or so,” he said. “And I’m really troubled.”
Kitchen says that most Americans support a woman’s right to choose.
“So, it has nothing to do with what the public opinion thinks,” he said of the Supreme Court ruling.
Kitchen also says most Americans also support same-sex marriage.
“Seventy-one percent of Americans support same-sex marriage,” he said. “That will not stop the Supreme Court from rolling this back if they choose to.”
Kitchen says he supports those people who are upset over Friday’s ruling.
“Anybody who is angry and afraid, I stand with you,” he said. “When one of our fundamental rights is under attack, all of our fundamental rights are under attack, let’s be clear about that.”
- Lawmaker opens bill to codify marriage equality in Utah
- Supreme Court takes up case of web designer who won’t work with same-sex couples
Today’s Top Stories
- Victim of fatal accident identified, SR 190 reopens in Big Cottonwood Canyon
- UPDATE: Family of missing Stanton Porter releases statement regarding his death
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes boom that rattles Salt Lake Valley
- Utah middle school bans phones from entire school day
- Parents, need a side hustle? The Murray School District is hiring
- Investigation continues after plane plunges into Lake Powell, killing 2
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- 4moms infant swings and rockers recalled over strangulation danger
- Some Capri Sun products being recalled by Kraft Heinz
- Three people charged after staged kidnapping for YouTube video, police say