Car fire, explosions, temporarily shut down I-15 in Davis County
SUNSET, Utah — A car’s mechanical malfunction led to a car fire, then a grassfire, and then explosions on northbound I-15 in Davis County on Thursday.
Fire affecting roadway
NB I-15 at MP 337 (Sunset) Davis Co.
Right Lane Closed
Est. Clearance Time: 3:28 PM
For updates: https://t.co/jaVMw7vcLm
— UDOT Traffic (@UDOTTRAFFIC) August 11, 2022
The Utah Highway Patrol said a car pulled to the side of the northbound freeway near 1800 North in Sunset after the driver heard a loud noise in the engine. Sgt. Cam Roden said the car soon caught fire and that those inside the car were able to escape without injury.
Soon after, the grass near the burning car also caught fire, Roden said.
Roadside fire impacting traffic in Davis County at I-15 in Sunset 23300 North. Expect slowdown on both sides of I-15 in the area. pic.twitter.com/SxIo9xwqcH
— Rikki Meece (@KSLRikki) August 11, 2022
Officials closed northbound I-15 when ammunition inside the car started going off.
The roadway was shut down for about 15 minutes on Thursday afternoon.
- UDOTs major construction projects for the summer of 2022
- UDOT to launch a study on I-15 for future construction
Today’s Top Stories
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- Name change coming to Intermountain Healthcare next year
- Ian makes landfall in southwest Florida as Category 4 storm
- The plan to build an inland port/commerce hub is on hold
- Salt Lake County Dems call for immediate resignation of Sen. Gene Davis
- So. Salt Lake Police identify victim in officer-involved shooting
- Hurricane Ian knocked out power to all of Cuba, Florida officials urge evacuations
- Fatal crash near Strawberry Reservoir closes SR-40
- New poll suggests voters don’t wan’t to see Biden or Trump on the ballot
- US Embassy warns Americans to leave Russia