CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Sandy Police are investigating the vandalism of six church buildings
SANDY, Utah — Sandy Police are investigating the vandalism of six church buildings.
All of them had a similar message against The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
“One of the messages said something to the effect of ‘predators are welcome.’ Another one said something along the lines of ‘save the kids,’” said Sgt. Greg Moffitt with Sandy Police.
Police aren’t sure if it was just one person or a group, according to Moffitt.
They think this happened some time Sunday night into Monday.
Vandalism of church buildings
“It’s not out of the ordinary for us to deal every once in a while, with some vandalism to a church building,” Moffitt said. “But to receive six of them in one night is a little bit out of the ordinary.”
He said police are increasing patrols around all Church-owned buildings in the city.
And they’re asking people with any cameras facing the churches to look at their footage and see if they caught anything that could be helpful.
If police do catch those responsible, charges would depend on the cost of the damage and clean-up.
But Moffitt didn’t know an estimate on the cost.
- Lehi splash pad closed due to vandalism
- Arrest made in vandalism of a Syracuse church building
- Signs found in Farmington considered racially motivated acts of vandalism
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- D2 gets to the bottom of the impending arrest of former President Trump
- Death penalty off the table for Lori Vallow Daybell
- BYU announces new president
- Utah Rivers Council selling discounted rain barrels as effort toward water conservation
- 6-year-old dies after crash in Emery
- Semi hits car on I-15 in Kaysville, one person taken to hospital
- Bicyclist hit, killed by FrontRunner train in Salt Lake City
- Cox signs bill requiring lethality assessments in Utah domestic violence cases
- 16-year-old dead, 2 other teens injured in fatal crash in Juab County
- Brighton hits a milestone with 700 inches of snow