Police looking for suspect after he allegedly used a U-Haul to commit theft
BLUFFDALE, Utah — Riverton police are looking for a man they say was using a U-Haul to steal packages off of people’s porches and burglarize vehicles.
Police say they received several reports of vehicle burglaries and porch pirates (individuals who steal packages off of other people’s porches) in a Riverton neighborhood since Saturday, Aug. 20. In addition to this, they say they have seen surveillance videos from residents related to the burglaries and theft. The surveillance videos show, according to police, people using a U-Haul to assist them in these crimes.
Following these reports, police spotted the U-Haul in the area of 1300 W. 13200 S., early Sunday morning. Police then followed the vehicle. Officers attempted to make contact with the U-Haul, but before they could, a female suspect exited the vehicle and fled on foot. Police were able to detain her and take her into custody.
After this, police say, the male suspect driving fled south on 1300 W in the U-Haul.
Police later discovered the vehicle crashed in a field in Bluffdale. They searched the area utilizing dogs, drones and a helicopter.
The suspect was spotted by a Bluffdale citizen fleeing through their backyard, police say.
Riverton Police Department says it is aware of the suspect’s identity and that he will be charged once detained.
- Weber County Sheriff’s Office seeking information on theft suspect
- Video shows chaotic scene of American Fork burglary suspect fleeing Walmart parking lot, suspect remains at large
- Stolen U-haul trailer leaves Millcreek woman homeless
- Bluffdale Mayor defends husband after he was accused of threatening her one-time political opponent
- Large amount of stolen goods found as police break massive burglary ring
Today’s Top Stories
- Hurricane Ian weakens to Category 3 after making landfall in Florida, but officials warn the…
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Davis and Weber counties
- UTA makes service reductions following staffing shortages
- Former KSL NewsRadio talk show host in the path of Hurricane Ian
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- Researchers using dirty diapers to develop new autism test
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Hurricane days were like snow days
- Silicon Summit announces statewide expansion
- So. Salt Lake Police identify victim in officer-involved shooting