Police looking for suspect after he allegedly used a U-Haul to commit theft
BLUFFDALE, Utah — Riverton police are looking for a man they say was using a U-Haul to steal packages off of people’s porches and burglarize vehicles.
Police say they received several reports of vehicle burglaries and porch pirates (individuals who steal packages off of other people’s porches) in a Riverton neighborhood since Saturday, Aug. 20. In addition to this, they say they have seen surveillance videos from residents related to the burglaries and theft. The surveillance videos show, according to police, people using a U-Haul to assist them in these crimes.
Following these reports, police spotted the U-Haul in the area of 1300 W. 13200 S., early Sunday morning. Police then followed the vehicle. Officers attempted to make contact with the U-Haul, but before they could, a female suspect exited the vehicle and fled on foot. Police were able to detain her and take her into custody.
After this, police say, the male suspect driving fled south on 1300 W in the U-Haul.
Police later discovered the vehicle crashed in a field in Bluffdale. They searched the area utilizing dogs, drones and a helicopter.
The suspect was spotted by a Bluffdale citizen fleeing through their backyard, police say.
Riverton Police Department says it is aware of the suspect’s identity and that he will be charged once detained.
- Weber County Sheriff’s Office seeking information on theft suspect
- Video shows chaotic scene of American Fork burglary suspect fleeing Walmart parking lot, suspect remains at large
- Stolen U-haul trailer leaves Millcreek woman homeless
- Bluffdale Mayor defends husband after he was accused of threatening her one-time political opponent
- Large amount of stolen goods found as police break massive burglary ring
Today’s Top Stories
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- One person dead following a stabbing in Salt Lake City suspect still at large
- The bizarre history of Groundhog Day
- Four elk killed as herd gets too close to I-215 and I-80
- Bill to set target water level for the Great Salt Lake dries up
- One man dead, suspect on the run after Glendale shooting
- Salt Lake City police investigating shooting, one person hurt
- Davis County officials charge suspect in Layton Amber Alert