I-80 West closed due to Semi truck crash with fire
TOOELE COUNTY — Two semi-trucks crashed into each other near Knolls just after 2 a.m. on Friday morning.
Sergeant Roden with Utah Highway Patrol (UHP) said one semi was hit from behind by a second semi as they travelled westbound on I-80. They did get over to the right shoulder but then the trucks caught on fire.
Roden said the front truck was half burned and the second truck also suffered fire damage.
The driver of the second semi is in critical conditon and was airlifted to the hospital. The front truck driver was not injured.
A couple crashes WB I-80 are causing issues for drivers heading toward Wendover. The first crash is near the Grantsville exit on left shoulder. @UDOTTRAFFIC reports the other crash has CLOSED I-80 WB at Knolls. All traffic must exit the freeway. pic.twitter.com/TTc9SKlSZu
— Heather Kelly (@KSLHeatherKelly) August 26, 2022
I-80 westbound is expected to remain closed until 12 p.m. Friday for investigation and clean up of the crash. All traffic must exit at the Knolls exit ramp (MP 41) but can get right back on at the Knoll on-ramp.
One of the semitrucks was hauling car parts, and the other was carrying wheat.
Stay updated with traffic alerts at KSLNewsRadio.com/listen
Today’s Top Stories
- Hurricane Ian weakens to Category 3 after making landfall in Florida, but officials warn the…
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Davis and Weber counties
- UTA makes service reductions following staffing shortages
- Former KSL NewsRadio talk show host in the path of Hurricane Ian
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- Researchers using dirty diapers to develop new autism test
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Hurricane days were like snow days
- Silicon Summit announces statewide expansion
- So. Salt Lake Police identify victim in officer-involved shooting