Avalanche in Neff’s Canyon sends one person to the hospital
Dec 14, 2022, 12:05 PM | Updated: Mar 28, 2023, 5:46 pm
SALT LAKE CITY — First responders say one person was injured in an avalanche Wednesday in Neff’s Canyon in the Millcreek area at 4326 E White Way.
KSL TV’s Jed Boal reported that search and rescue personnel are now arriving at the trailhead, which is at the top of Olympus Cove. The avalanche was reported by one of two people in the area.
“I spoke with a battalion chief briefly,” Boal said. “He said that they were aware of an avalanche two-and-a-half miles or so up the canyon where the burn scar was from the Neff’s fire last summer.”
Boal says search and rescue were searching well into Wednesday evening to bring a 35-year-old backcountry skier off the mountain.
According to Boal, police believe he has a broken femur and an injured arm, may also be suffering from hypothermia.
UPDATE: @UPDSL search and rescue is still working to bring an injured 35-year-old back country skier out of Neffs Canyon. Police believe he has a broken femur and an injured arm, may also be suffering from hypothermia. @KSL5TV #ksltv pic.twitter.com/tMEyTy6gui
— Jed Boal (@jedboal) December 14, 2022
Unified Police announced around 7 p.m. Wednesday evening that the skier was off the mountain and was enroute to the hospital.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
Wasatch Front hit with another messy morning commute
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Candidates starting to line up as potential replacement for Rep. Stewart
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- SLC Ballpark ‘Next Design’ competition winners announced
- Here’s how Utah’s 4 congressmen voted on the debt ceiling bill
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- The streaming shift from BYUtv to ESPN
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows