CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Salt Lake City traffic stop leads to drug bust, illegal gun recovered
SALT LAKE CITY — A 21-year-old man was taken into custody by Salt Lake City Police following a traffic stop for allegedly being in possession of illegal drugs and a firearm in the Ballpark neighborhood.
According to a news release, the arrest was made Thursday afternoon. Officers with the Liberty Division Bike Squad stopped a car for a traffic violation near 1700 S. Edison Street.
While talking to the driver, officers noticed the smell of marijuana coming from the vehicle. The driver has been identified as Alano Rios.
Gun discovered after traffic stop
During the investigation, officers found a loaded gun in Rios’ waistband. Marijuana was also discovered as officers were taking him into custody.
Additionally, as Rios was being booked into the Salt Lake County Jail, law enforcement personnel found several baggies of cocaine in his possession.
According to the news release, because of the illegal drugs that were found, Rios is restricted from possessing a gun.
“Our officers are relentless in their pursuit to eliminate illegally possessed guns and drugs in our community,” said SLCPD Chief Mike Brown in a news release. “Getting this gun and these drugs off of our streets works to reduce violent crime. And protects some of our most vulnerable community members struggling with addiction.”
He was booked into jail for investigation of one felony count of possession of a firearm by a restricted person. He was also booked for investigation of one felony count of possession of a controlled substance within a correctional facility. And he was booked for investigation of one misdemeanor count of possession of marijuana.
- Davis County Task Force conducted undercover drug bust
- Washington County Sheriff’s Office makes drug bust during traffic stop
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Body found at 600N, I-15 Southbound
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Clearfield power and traffic alert
- Utah’s COVID-19 transmissions slowed but still present
- Robbery at swap meet leaves one victim shaken up
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- Winter-like temperatures sticking around
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- What you can do about snow mold in your lawn
- Salt Lake carjacking suspect dead, investigation continues