Where does Utah rank among the most active states?
SALT LAKE CITY — From the beautiful mountain hikes in the warmer months, to the same landscapes covered in inches of powdery snow come ski season, it is no wonder that Utah is one of the most physically active states. But does it rank in the top 5?
According to a MattressInsider study, data from America’s Health Rankings Public Health Impact report gave insight into which adults are active outside of their regular job.
The data found that, in the thirty days ending Feb. 22, 2022, only 17.3% of Utahns reported not being active. The only state who reported a lower number was Colorado at 16.7 %
In other words, Utah is the second most physically active state in the U.S.
Connections between the top two states, Utah and Colorado, can be made. Vast mountain ranges, hot summers, and snowy winters create year-round outlets for activity. And not just any activity, but activities that include views and landscapes that are exclusive to these western states.
Vermont and Washington follow Utah, with 17.8% of inactive residents.
Oregon, Hawaii, and New Hampshire round out the top seven.
According to the data, Alabama ranks as the most physically inactive U.S. state. During the study period, only 68.5% of Alabama residents said they had taken part in any form of exercise.
- Utah ranks 45th in the country for affordable housing
- Longest morning commutes: Where does Salt Lake City rank?
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- A third person has died after a multi-car crash in Box Elder
- Nashville school shooter had drawn maps, done surveillance
- Lake effect snow causes school delays, remote learning in northern Utah
- Man suing Gwyneth Paltrow for $300,000+ to testify in Utah ski crash trial
- Wrong way driver leads to fatal crash in Weber County
- One person trapped following avalanche in Pole Canyon
- Monday morning commute could be affected by additional inches of snow
- Salt Lake County Animal Services looking for a home for Amy Swinehouse
- Sandy Police officer involved in fatal shooting