UTAH FLOOD WATCH
Flood warnings still in effect across Utah as snowmelt accelerates
May 2, 2023, 9:03 AM
(Kristin Murphy, Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY—Multiple areas across Utah remain under flood warnings and flood watches on the heels of two record-hot days.
Utah flood warnings
Areas under flood warnings include:
- Little Bear River near Paradise in Cache County
- Garden City in Rich County
- South Fork of the Ogden River
- Lower Weber River near Plain City
- Emigration Creek in Salt Lake County
- Some areas in Garfield, Iron, Kane, Piute, and Sevier Counties
Utah flood watches
Flood watches still in place include:
- East Canyon Creek near Jeremy Ranch in the Wasatch Back
- Little Bear River below Hyrum Reservoir in Cache County
A flood advisory is in place for Highway 89 below U.S. 6 in Utah County.
Spanish Fork City also issued an emergency declaration for anyone living by the Spanish Fork River.
Ogden Canyon also saw flooding again Tuesday.
ACTIVE FLOOD CONCERNS: There are 7 active flood advisories or warnings across Utah right now. Scroll through the thread and see if any of these are near you! #utwx pic.twitter.com/71YMGYrME6
— Matthew Johnson (@KSL_Matt) May 1, 2023
Be careful around all moving waterways
National Weather Service Hydrologist, Glen Merrill told KSL Newsradio that regardless if an area is under some kind of advisory, people need to be extra careful as water comes down the mountains.
“The water is so cold, it was just snow a couple of days ago,” Merrill said. “Hypothermia could set in in just a couple of minutes (if you fall in).”
Merrill also said people should stay far away from moving water since bank erosion could be happening underneath their feet.
“We’re seeing high, cold, fast flows pretty much everywhere across the state,” Merrill said.
- Extra warm three-day temperatures is recipe for extra spring runoff
- Assume any flood water you see is contaminated, Utah officials say
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Winners announced of SLC Ballpark Next Design competition
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Woman barricades herself inside West Jordan home, then arrested
- Church announces site of Charlotte North Carolina Temple
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows
- Rattlesnakes are appearing on Utah trails, around homes later than normal
- Adult filmmakers ask judge to delay Utah law requiring porn sites verify user ages