WVC: kids find remains in canal
WEST VALLEY CITY — Police are investigating the discovery of human remains in a canal that feeds into Decker Lake after children playing in the area reported spotting what appeared to be a shoe with a bone sticking out of it.
— Caitlin Burchill (@newsyCaitlin) April 27, 2018
The West Valley City Police Department says a woman called them on April 22 to report her children had been playing in the area near 2700 South 2500 West and had actually spotted the remains a week before, but had only just told her. When officers responded, the remains appeared to be caught up in a debris pile in the canal near where the aqueduct passes under I-215 to feed into Decker Lake.
The Utah State Dive Team responded on April 23, recovering what appeared to be a man’s body. The remains are now with the Utah Medical Examiners’ Office, which is working to determine a DNA match as well as potential height and age range.
A cadaver dog team responded on the 25th but was unable to find any other remains.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- Several people killed in Copenhagen mall shooting, police say
- Update: Vehicle crashes into Famous Footwear, leaving four injured
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- One person dead in three-vehicle crash in southern Utah
- Fireworks and some open flames are now banned in Park City
- State of Utah files lawsuit against pharmaceutical retailers