Police: 3 kidnapped teen boy and held him for ransom
WEST VALLEY CITY — A teen boy is home safe after police say three people from Arizona kidnapped him and demanded ransom from his parents.
West Valley City Police are being somewhat tight-lipped about the case, as it is part of a larger investigation by Utah County Major Crimes and the F.B.I. They do believe the kidnapping to be drug-related and not random.
According to West Valley Police Spokesperson Roxeanne Vainuku, Juan Carlos Moreno Trinidad, 41, Issa Al-Sadoon, 26, and Nadia Avalos, 31, all from Phoenix, are accused of kidnapping the teen at gunpoint.
“The kidnappers, after they had taken the 17-year-old boy, called his family and demanded ransom money,” says Vainuku.
Using security footage, multiple law enforcement agencies were able to track the suspect to a South Salt Lake motel. Police and the F.B.I. surrounded the motel, and were eventually able to take all three suspects into custody and recover the teen hostage.
Vainuku says, “He was unharmed, he was recovered safely.”
Police believe the boy was held for around eight hours. Multiple weapons and drugs were found inside the motel room.
Charges against the three suspects are still pending.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued
- Utah mom shares grocery budgeting tips