BYU Football names Tanner Mangum as starting QB
PROVO – It took several weeks and an entire camp, but the BYU football finally gave the starting nod to senior Tanner Mangum Friday.
BYU held no special press conference to make an announcement. It just released a depth chart indicating Mangum received the starting spot.
— BYU Cougars PR (@BYUCougarsPR) August 24, 2018
Mangum earned the starting role last year as well before sustaining an achilles injury at Fresno State University. Overall the senior played in 8 games last year. He threw for 1,540 yards and eight touchdowns on the year. Mangum is 16-10 overall when he has seen the field, including going 9-3 in his freshman year.
BYU will look to him to guide the offense after the team’s struggles last season on the offensive side of the ball. Coaches narrowed it down to him and freshman Zach Wilson before ultimately selecting the senior quarterback.
BYU will travel to Arizona for its season opener on September 1st.
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes boom that rattles Salt Lake Valley
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- American Fork Police take Walmart shooting suspect into custody
- Woman warns of being followed at local store, police say you should report it
- EB off ramp at 3300 S, I-15 closed after a car hit a pedestrian
- Some Utah areas see slight drop in drought levels
- One dead in early Saturday crash on I-80
- Increased reward for information on the murder of Rosie Tapia
- Alpine School District restricts 52 library books
- Some Utah lawmakers trying to get rid of clergy exeption in state’s mandatory child…