Utes offense may have already hit a wall
SALT LAKE CITY — After two weeks, the Utah Utes are at a decent 2-1 record heading into a bye week but it appears their offense may have already stalled.
Coming off a 21-7 loss against the Washington Huskies, the only touchdown scored by the Utes came from Sophomore Running back Zack Moss, in the closing seconds of the first quarter.
— Utah Football (@Utah_Football) September 16, 2018
Speaking at a press conference, Utes Head Coach Kyle Whittingham spoke on the offensive struggles the team has begun to experience.
“Offensively, we’ve got to get more going there obviously,” Whittingham said.
The Utes have only scored two offensive touchdowns in the last two weeks and only put up 261 total yards against the Huskies but Whittingham believes the team’s offense can still produce.
The slow offensive start can’t be traced to one specific issue but a major component to the Utes offense in question is junior quarterback Tyler Huntley.
“He’s got room for improvement, like pretty much everyone on the football team,” said Whittingham. “Right now, we’re not going to create some quarterback controversy. We feel Tyler gives us our best chance to win right now and as long as that’s the case, he’ll be the guy. If something happens to change that, then we’ll open it back up for competition.”
Huntley closed the game with 20 completed passes on 38 attempts for a total of 138 yards and one interception but the stats don’t really tell the whole story due to multiple dropped balls.
“If we don’t drop the ball, it would have been really really good numbers but with all the drops, just very average,” Whittingham said in the press conference.
The Utes go into week 4 on a bye and plan to take the opportunity to focus on regaining strength in the weight room and some of the coaches will begin recruiting for the next season.
Today’s Top Stories
- New dress code gives West High School students more leeway
- Man in extremely critical condition following motorcycle accident in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Woman dies in SLC shooting, suspect arrested
- Bluffdale crash involving semi-truck kills one
- One person in critical condition after Sunday night shooting
- Semi driver dies after driving off side of roadway
- Senate race between Lee and McMullin is tight as election day gets closer
- Double stabbing sends grandmother and grandson to the hospital
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: Photos of topless women at U of U football game who may face charges
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges