Man charged with criminal homicide after body found
JUAB COUNTY — The Juab County Sheriff’s Department says a 42-year-old man is in custody, accused of criminal homicide, after the discovery of a body believed to be that of a missing woman.
Investigators say Cody Young and his girlfriend, 64-year-old Jan Pearson-Jenkins of Sandy, went camping on October 4th. The next day, Pearson-Jenkins’ brother, Jace Pearson, says he received a text message from Young, stating they had an argument and he had left the woman in the Silver City/Eureka area.
Sandy police started investigating the case as a missing persons’ case after the family called them on October 8th. The police notified the Juab County Sheriff’s Office, who found the body of a nude woman a week later, a mile from the campsite where Young and Pearson-Jenkins had been.
Investigators say they found Cody Young 45 miles away, in Yuba State Park, arresting him after he was questioned by detectives.
The body of the woman who was found has not been positively identified, but the Sheriff’s department says it’s likely that of Pearson-Jenkins. The state medical examiner will conduct an autopsy to determine an official cause of death.
Formal charges against Young are expected later today.
Today’s Top Stories
- SWAT team responds to Herriman area
- Russian media: Griner pleads guilty in Russia drugs trial
- Polarization is behind US mass shootings, says psychiatrist
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson resigns after mutiny in his party
- Two children hurt in auto-pedestrian collision in South Jordan
- UDOT to temporarily close Cottonwood Heights I-215 bridge for restoration
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Family of Zane James speaks out after settlement reached with Cottonwood Heights