Man charged with criminal homicide after body found
JUAB COUNTY — The Juab County Sheriff’s Department says a 42-year-old man is in custody, accused of criminal homicide, after the discovery of a body believed to be that of a missing woman.
Investigators say Cody Young and his girlfriend, 64-year-old Jan Pearson-Jenkins of Sandy, went camping on October 4th. The next day, Pearson-Jenkins’ brother, Jace Pearson, says he received a text message from Young, stating they had an argument and he had left the woman in the Silver City/Eureka area.
Sandy police started investigating the case as a missing persons’ case after the family called them on October 8th. The police notified the Juab County Sheriff’s Office, who found the body of a nude woman a week later, a mile from the campsite where Young and Pearson-Jenkins had been.
Investigators say they found Cody Young 45 miles away, in Yuba State Park, arresting him after he was questioned by detectives.
The body of the woman who was found has not been positively identified, but the Sheriff’s department says it’s likely that of Pearson-Jenkins. The state medical examiner will conduct an autopsy to determine an official cause of death.
Formal charges against Young are expected later today.
Today’s Top Stories
- Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office being sued after former cadet reports abuse
- UDOT wants public comments for proposed Orem expansion
- Vivint Smart Home acquired for $2.8 billion by NRG Energy
- Woman charged in February fatal car crash in West Valley City
- Increased shoplifting puts pressure on retailers and raises prices
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- New VA food pantry aims to curb food insecurity among veterans
- Tax increase in Salt Lake County for the library
- DPS offers apology to family of rape victim from more than 50 years ago
- Student loan forgiveness resolution on hold until 2023