Memorial grows at Elizabeth Shelley’s house as community mourns
LOGAN — Dozens of people left stuffed animals and candles, all part of a growing memorial on the porch of a Logan house in honor of a murdered five-year-old girl.
People started the makeshift memorial near 100 South 400 West after police announced the discovery of a body on Wednesday in the search for Elizabeth Shelley. Thursday, police confirmed the body was Elizabeth’s.
“All I can say is just how sorry we are,” said Chris, who stopped by yesterday.
The memorial includes an assortment of stuffed animals contributed by community members saddened to learn Elizabeth may be dead.
Local musician Bethany Sorenson wrote “Lizzy’s Song,” which she has shared on Facebook.
The social media campaign #lightson4lizzy started in the Logan area last night, encouraging people to leave their porch lights on in tribute to Elizabeth until her funeral.
Families Feeding Families, a charity group in Cache County, has started the Rainbow Ribbons for Lizzy campaign, asking people to tie them around trees and mailboxes to honor her.
Elizabeth’s uncle, Alexander Whipple, faces five charges, including aggravated murder and child kidnapping. He told investigators through his lawyer where her body was on Wednesday.
Police Chief Gary Jensen told reporters he gave the information to his lawyer so prosecutors would take the death penalty off the table. His next court date is Monday.
Today’s Top Stories
- Officer-involved shooting causes delays on I-15 in Davis County
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- The DWR to update management of black bears
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- Salt Lake City Police investigate deadly auto-pedestrian collision
- Two people hurt in auto-pedestrian collision in Orem