School resource officer injured in fight at a middle school
RIVERTON — An alleged confrontation between a man and a school resource officer resulted in serious injuries to the officer, according to an arrest report.
The injury occurred at South Hills Middle School in Riverton on Monday afternoon.
The man, Kalen Cook, 21, of Bluffdale, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on Monday. Police are investigating Cook for aggravated assault, criminal trespassing, possession of a controlled substance and use or possession of drug paraphernalia, according to jail records.
The alleged confrontation began at about 1:35 p.m. when the school resource officer approached Cook, according to Unified Police Sgt. Melody Gray. Cook was not authorized to be at the school. The resource officer told Cook to leave the property. Cook refused, the arrest report states.
Gray says that at that point a Unified police officer arrived at the scene.
The two officers spoke with Cook in the parking lot of the school. While the two officers and Cook were speaking, Cook picked up a large piece of wood and struck the school resource officer in the face, according to the report.
Cook attempted to get into a vehicle nearby and then started to fight with the resource officer, the arrest report states.
Cook allegedly injured the Unified officer in the struggle.
The resource officer suffered injuries to his face, head, and body, according to the arrest report.
The officers threatened to use a Taser Cook if he did not take his hands out of his pockets, the report states.
Cook allegedly refused the officers’ orders.
The officers used a Taser on Cook multiple times. The officers were eventually able to get Cook on the ground, according to the report.
The officers say they found a knife in Cook’s pockets. The officers also found marijuana and some drug paraphernalia in Cook’s possession, the report states
Jordan School District spokeswoman Sandy Riesgraf says no students were harmed in the altercation.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- ‘Sketched out’ University of Idaho students return to campus from break with…
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- BYU students win international award for video game
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?