SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — A Republican U.S. senator from Utah continues to be critical of the President on a number of issues.
Mitt Romney didn’t mince words when discussing President Trump on Dave and Dujanovic this morning.
Pulling support out of Syria is a mistake, Romney says
On the topic of the president pulling troops out of Syria, he remains strongly opposed.
“You can’t just take the 150 people who have been providing peace and keeping the Turks from slaughtering the Kurds,” argued Romney. “You can’t just pull them out.”
He says maybe the most frustrating thing is how, in his view, President Trump went rogue with his decision.
“There was really no discussion with people in the Senate to understand his perspective,” he said.
Romney added he’s not alone in this thinking. He says politicians from all different backgrounds are growing frustrated with the president.
“You’ve seen virtual unanimity on both sides of the aisle,” said Romney. “Republicans and Democrats have all said this was a terrible mistake.”
Additionally, he pointed to the fact that some of President Trump’s closest allies, like Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., are also disagreeing with him on this move.
“Obviously we’re calling for hearings to understand just what has gone on here,” he said. “And why we have done something which will go down in the annals of American history as having been a terrible abandonment of our friends.”
Romney criticizes the president in other areas
Romney didn’t relent on the topic of an impeach inquiry. He says it was wrong for the president to call upon a foreign government to investigate a political opponent.
In his opinion, correspondence with Ukraine officials moved House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, to re-consider an impeachment inquiry, while encouraging China to investigate the Biden family was enough to push her over the edge.
Through it all, Romney says he has tried to largely ignore President Trump’s shots at him on Twitter.
“If it were successful in riling me [then] I’d be in the wrong business,” he quips.
- 10 Utah temples to enter Phase 2 of reopening (pageviews: 4396)
- VIDEO: Underground Provo party draws criticism (pageviews: 2589)
- 10 Utah temples to enter Phase 2 of reopening (pageviews: 1779)
- Victim in critical condition after police shooting in Holladay (pageviews: 1469)
- Small plane carrying six people crashed in Duchesne County | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1454)
- Coronavirus Tracker (pageviews: 1223)
- UPDATED: Wearing a mask incorrectly while healthy might actually make you sick | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1089)
- JayMac: Macin Smith update: My brother was allegedly investigated in Macin’s disappearance | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1062)