Avalanche in Summit County backcountry kills snowboarder
PARK CITY, UTAH — A snowboarder who triggered an avalanche behind Canyons Village in Park City died this afternoon. According to the Utah Avalanche center, this is the first avalanche death of this season.
The Center says the man triggered the avalanche this morning, got caught up and then was carried and killed in the avalanche. The center also says the area is avalanche prone and was the site of a fatality in February of 2012.
Read more about the Avalanche Center’s report here.
Confirmed avalanche accident and burial in the backcountry near Canyons resort. https://t.co/REZSuPaozb
— UtahAvalancheCenter (@UACwasatch) December 15, 2019
The Summit County Sheriff’s Office says the 45-year-old man is from Salt Lake City.
— Sheriff Justin (@SummitCountySO) December 15, 2019
Avalanche danger remains rated as considerable today.
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes ‘boom’ that rattles Salt Lake Valley
- CONFIRMED: The noise was a sonic boom, 80 miles from SLC
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- CEO and President of Intermountain Healthcare announces resignation
- Police arrest suspect in West Valley hit-and-run that killed 11-year-old boy
- American Fork Police take Walmart shooting suspect into custody
- Alpine School District restricts 52 library books
- Some Utah areas see slight drop in drought levels
- Authorities identify suspect who attacked author Salman Rushdie at western New York event
- Woman warns of being followed at local store, police say you should report it