Pence: ‘We could have more’ coronavirus deaths
“We know there will be more cases,” Pence told CNN’s Jake Tapper in a clip released Saturday, echoing President Donald Trump’s earlier comments that additional cases in America were “likely.” The full interview between Pence and Tapper is airing on Sunday’s “State of the Union.”
Pence said that the situation explained to him by Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and others is that “most people that contract the coronavirus, they will recover. They will deal with a respiratory illness, we’ll get them treatment.”
The vice president cautioned that the US could experience “more sad news.”
“But for people that have other conditions that would militate toward a worse outcome that, we could have more. We could have more sad news,” Pence said. “But the American people should know the risk for the average American remains low.”
Pence’s comments come after the Trump administration announced new travel restrictions following news of the first US fatality from the disease. The patient died in Washington and appears to have become ill through community spread, according to Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, who spoke alongside the President at a briefing Saturday.
Pence said at the briefing that the US would be expanding travel restrictions from Iran “to include any foreign national who has visited Iran within the last 14 days.” He also said the US would heighten a travel advisory for specific regions of Italy and South Korea.
“We are urging Americans to not travel to the areas in Italy and the areas in South Korea that are most affected by the coronavirus,” Pence said.
Today’s Top Stories
- Staff member at school in southern Utah arrested for alleged sexual abuse
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Morning storms impact school schedules
- Air Force unveils newest stealth bomber aircraft
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success