SALT LAKE CITY – The COVID-19 pandemic has been tough on small businesses across the country. Many have been closed while their larger competitors have been open.
Despite all this, a new survey from the business non-profit 3C shows 74% of small businesses are optimistic things will get back to normal within six months.
Many also feel technology and shifting to e-commerce will be the key to keeping their business open.
During a virtual news conference on Wednesday, 3C President Jake Ward said many companies are already doing more online to keep customers and employees safe from COVID-19.
“People are investing in technologies that are mitigating that risk. They’re limiting time in store or time onsite. And I think we’re going to see an enormous move of folks working from home,” Ward said.
With more people working at home, a small businesses could save a lot of money.
Ward believes making the switch will be easier for newer companies.
“If you started a business in the last five years, you have an online presence. You didn’t start a new business and not create a website or a Twitter handle or use YouTube or Facebook ads,” Ward said.
Technology has also been a way for some companies who cannot move online, like ski resorts, to keep in touch with customers.
Last week, dozens of Utah small business owners also signed a letter to Governor Gary Herbert asking him and state policymakers not to let regulations strangle access to technology and low cost digital platforms.
- A different kind of fireworks: look to the skies for July 4 F35 flyover (pageviews: 6624)
- A different kind of fireworks: look to the skies for July 4 F35 flyover | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 3887)
- Election Results (pageviews: 3405)
- UPDATE: Four people killed in plane crash are identified (pageviews: 3373)
- UPDATE: Four people killed in plane crash are identified | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 3008)
- Seattle Police begin to retake CHOP area (pageviews: 2788)
- Gov. Herbert approves more mask mandates as cases rise (pageviews: 2559)
- Update: Suspected shooters from Provo protest arrested in SLC (pageviews: 2437)