Chemical fire at BYU Clyde Engineering Building leaves one injured
PROVO, Utah- A chemical fire at the BYU Clyde Engineering Building has caused some damage. Lt. Rich Christensen of the BYU Police Department said they received reports of a gas leak early Wednesday evening.
The gas combined with magnesium chloride inside a lab and caused an explosion, which inevitably caused the fire to follow. The chemical fire is contained in one lab on BYU’s campus.
One male student was decontaminated and then transported with some chemical injuries to Utah Valley Hospital.
At this time there appears to be no residual gas within the building. Responders are on scene containing the fire.
This story is developing and will be updated when more information is available.
Today’s Top Stories
- Elk, again, tried to cross roads near I-215/I-80 interchange in SLC
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Suspect arrested, one victim identified after shooting in Taylorsville
- Tom Brady announces retirement: ‘I’m retiring for good’
- Potential redesign of new Utah State Flag emphasizes Native American tribes
- Cold weather causes late start for Logan City School District Wednesday
- Alpine schools investigating “suspicious” computer activity
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Correctional officer assaulted at Utah State Correctional Facility