Crash in Spanish Fork Canyon involves five cars and one semi-truck
SPANISH FORK, Utah- A car crash in Spanish Fork Canyon has forced U.S. Route 6 to close in both directions. The five-car buildup, involving a semi-truck, happened Tuesday evening two miles west of Sheep Creek in Spanish Fork Canyon.
Utah Highway Patrol (UHP) confirmed one fatality, one person in critical condition, and five people in serious condition. Life Flights were called to the scene to assist those in critical condition.
In a statement by UHP, the details of the crash are revealed:
A double tanker semi was westbound on SR-6 and either slowed or stopped completely in the single westbound lane. A westbound Dodge pickup behind the semi failed to stop and struck the left rear corner of the second trailer.
The pickup rotated into one of the two eastbound lanes, and an eastbound Yukon struck it almost directly on the driver door. The back end of the Yukon swung into the second eastbound lane and was struck by an eastbound Ford Fusion. The driver of the Dodge was killed on impact.
The driver of the Yukon was taken by air to a local area hospital with critical injuries. The driver of the semi was also taken by air to a local area hospital with critical injuries. The driver of the Ford was taken by ground to a local area hospital with serious injuries.
UHP reported U.S. Route 6 will be closed for some time for crews to work and assess the scene; it is undetermined how long it will take before the route will be open to traffic.
Eastbound traffic is being diverted to SR 89 and crews are working on a solution to divert westbound traffic.
This story will be updated when more information becomes available.
Today’s Top Stories
- Vivint Smart Home acquired for $2.8 billion by NRG Energy
- UDOT wants public comments for proposed Orem expansion
- DPS offers apology to family of rape victim from more than 50 years ago
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- Student loan forgiveness resolution on hold until 2023
- Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office being sued after former cadet reports abuse
- Driving Utah’s most dangerous roads: What you need to know
- Democratic Sen. Warnock wins Georgia runoff against Walker
- Lawsuit against Arches National Park after incident resulting in the death of a woman
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony