Man arrested after two Latter-day Saint missionaries stabbed in Texas
HOUSTON, Texas — Two sister missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serving in the Houston area are in the hospital and expected to recover after they were stabbed in their apartment early Sunday morning.
Police say the assault happened around 4:30 on Sunday morning as part of a home invasion. They arrested a neighbor on suspicion of two counts of aggravated assault.
Deputies say the man, who lived in the building directly across from the scene, broke into the apartment and repeatedly stabbed the missionaries as they slept before fleeing.
They say the suspect did not take anything. A crime scene investigator who responded later to take photos detained the man by the front gates of the apartment complex.
“One of our crime scene investigators was going to photograph the property and he detained him,” Sgt. David Angstadt with the Harris County Sheriff’s Office told reporters
“It is possible that it is random, however, a motive at this time is really not known,” he continued.
KTRK reports officers are still looking for the weapon.
Church Spokesman Daniel Woodruff says both missionaries should make a full recovery.
“The young women were taken to the hospital and are expected to recover. We sincerely pray for them and their families as they deal with and heal from this ordeal. We are grateful for the medical workers and first responders who have been caring for the missionaries since this occurred.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Search for wanted fugitive in Tooele is unsuccessful
- Deputies say evidence pointing to likely homicide in case of Dylan Rounds
- Salt Lake County DA discusses Biden’s pardon of marijuana possession
- Odd smell coming from North Salt Lake goes unidentified
- UPDATE: SLCPD releases new information about Meadows Park shooting
- 13 year old hospitalized after being run over in Bountiful
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Pioneer Park Coalition announces plan to combat crime, homelessness
- Utah debates: Here’s how 3rd District candidates stand on the issues (Rep. John Curtis…
- FBI seeking information on whereabouts of serial bank robber