SALT LAKE CITY — A fire that started as a brush fire near Santaquin, growing to 200 acres and, early Sunday evening. As of Monday morning, emergency officials say the fire is 90% contained. Fire authorities confirmed the cause of the fire was due to target shooting.
The cause was target shooting related, yet another to add to the list of recent fires with that cause.
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) September 14, 2020
The Goshen Fire is burning near Summit Ridge and is being attended to by multiple agencies, including Payson Fire and Rescue and Santaquin City. Another fire was close to the Goshen Fire, making it easier for crews to respond quickly to the blaze.
A few helicopters, a plane, a hotshot crew, and many fire rigs responded to the fire.
Kait Webb, with the Utah Division of Forestry, Fire and State Lands, tells KSL that earlier Sunday afternoon, firefighters had asked a few residents to evacuate because of the fire threat. There was never an official evacuation ordered.
“A lot of times smoke plums tend to cause people a lot more fear than necessary, especially when it looks to close to you,” said Webb. “I think out of caution some people were concerned and thought they were evacuating. So, some miscommunication was dispatched.”
Fire near Summit Ridge in Santaquin is estimated at 150 acres. Contrary to rumor, there have been no evacuations ordered. But always be prepared! Please stay away if you do not live there! @UtahCountyFD @SantaquinFire @UtahWildfire @SantaquinCity pic.twitter.com/ROsAwgLdK6
— Utah County Sheriff (@UCSO) September 13, 2020
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 8831)
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map (pageviews: 5008)
- Jordan School District closes Riverton High School Thursday and Friday (pageviews: 2079)
- Utah sets COVID-19 records for single day and rolling average increases | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1888)
- Utah sets COVID-19 records for single day and rolling average increases (pageviews: 1719)
- VIDEO: Police shooting in Holladay sends one person to hospital | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1060)
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87 (pageviews: 932)
- Coronavirus Tracker (pageviews: 905)