Hospitalizations set record high two days in a row
SALT LAKE CITY — For the second day in a row, COVID-19 hospitalizations reached a new record high in Utah with 243 reported by the Utah Department of Health Friday.
State officials announced the previous record, 237, on Thursday.
The health department reported 1,343 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, for a total of 83,290 in Utah since the pandemic began. The number of hospitalizations, 243, includes 86 patients in intensive care units, a number which held steady from the day before.
The new record came just a day after state officials warned ICU capacity was close to maxing out at the University of Utah Medical Center.
Four additional patients died in the latest numbers from state health officials. Of those, all were patients over the age of 65; two were long-term care facility residents and two were hospitalized.
For more details about case counts you can explore interactively, visit our coronavirus tracker here.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Walmart shooter left ‘death note,’ bought gun day of killing
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- First Presidency issues 2022 Christmas message
- Vehicle collides with unoccupied building in Roy, no injuries
- One person dies on hike at Zion National Park, another hospitalized
- Montana man gets 3 years in prison for role in Capitol riot
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Grandson of two found dead at a home in Clearfield facing murder charges