LAYTON, Utah — Progress is being made on the Layton Utah Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Temple.
Right now, work continues on the third floor of the Layton Utah Temple. The steel framing on the east end of the third floor will be followed by the construction of the definitive steeples on the east and west sides of the temple.
When the Temple site was first proposed for Layton in 2018, residents told KSL Newsradio that they were surprised. There were existing Temples in the cities of Ogden and Bountiful.
At that time, Mayor Bob Stevenson said he hopes a Layton temple will bring more people to his city, and more planes from Hill Air Force Base.
“I was just thinking about how cool it will be for those F-35 pilots to be taking off from that base, and coming back and landing, and seeing that glow of that temple,” he said.
An exterior rendering of the temple’s design was provided in mid-October 2019 and is seen in the side-by-side photo above. Ground was broken in mid-May of 2020.
According to the Church website, Utah has 24 temples that have been announced or are in some stage of construction. Those included temples announced for Orem, Saratoga Springs, Taylorsville, Tooele Valley, and Washington County.
Once constructed, the Layton Temple will be the second temple built in Davis County.
Latter-day Saints consider temples to be the “house of the Lord” where the faith’s sacred ceremonies such as marriage are performed.
Today’s Top Stories
- Director of photography killed, movie director injured after Alec Baldwin discharged prop…
- FBI: Dental records show that remains are Laundrie’s
- Comcast outage from Bountiful to Ogden
- Tom Little – Lakeview Elementary School
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces location of Ephraim temple
- Teen disappears after boat capsized
- What may be in that notebook belonging to Brian Laundrie?
- Skywest flights grounded by technical problems
- Canyons School District returns to remote-learning Fridays
- Salt Lake City IT employee arrested, accused of working with human trafficker