UPDATE: Suspected arrested in early morning homicide in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY — Police have arrested a suspect after an early morning homicide in Salt Lake City. A woman was shot and killed around 3:30 a.m., Tuesday near 900 West and South Temple.
The victim is described as a 31-year-old woman.
On Tuesday afternoon, the Salt Lake City Police Department announced they had arrested Patrice Ann Winward, age 31, in connection to the shooting.
Winward was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on suspicion of murder related to domestic violence, obstruction of justice and possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person.
Police responded to the area of the Pioneer Precinct after receiving reports of hearing several gunshots.
Police said that upon arrival they saw a woman, now identified as Winward, performing CPR on a victim now identified as Winward’s girlfriend. When paramedics and firefighters arrived, the victim was declared dead on the scene.
Winward left the scene, according to police, to return home to what she called a medical emergency at her nearby residence.
SLC Police say they followed Winward, and detained her as their investigation got under way.
During the course of their investigation, police say they learned that the two women were arguing with each other as they road their bicycles. Witnesses reported that the argument ended after multiple gunshots rang out.
After reportedly shooting the woman, police said Winward told someone to hide the suspected murder weapon. It was later recovered in a storm drain.
Today’s Top Stories
- Semifinalists for the new Utah flag design unveiled
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Home prices in Salt Lake City harbinger of a national trend?
- New fire breaks out on Y Mountain in Provo
- Former U.S. Attorney for Utah talks about what FBI can take off your cellphone
- BYU student and youngest-ever Survivor contestant says he’s confident he will win
- Paragliding crash in Milcreek leaves on in critical condition
- Be on lookout for suspicious vehicle in Nephi
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Time Out on the Field