Suspect taken into custody in Rockville shooter situation
ROCKVILLE, Utah — One man is in custody after an active shooter situation in Rockville ended Wednesday evening.
According to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office, authorities received a call of a man brandishing a handgun during an argument in Hurricane just after 3:30 p.m.
Officers responding to the scene attempted to pull over the suspect, who had left the scene in a silver colored, Ford pickup truck. However, the suspect failed to comply and attempted to escape.
A pursuit began on eastbound on SR-9 near Zion National Park. During the pursuit, the suspect began shooting at random vehicles. There were no reports of any injuries.
In an attempt to disable the vehicle, authorities used spike sticks near milepost 25. As a result, the vehicle came to a stop in Rockville where the suspect fled on foot.
As he exited the vehicle, the suspect exchanged gunfire with police. The suspect, described as a man in his 50s, fled into a residential neighborhood.
Residents in the area were told to shelter in place for a time. Traffic was also impacted as SR-9 was closed in both directions for a period of time.
Authorities from the federal, state and local levels responded to the scene. At roughly 6:15 p.m., first responders located the individual with a gunshot wound.
The suspect was transported to a hospital in St. George for treatment of his injuries. According to the St. George Sheriff’s Office, his status was not known as of Wednesday evening.
The suspect has been identified by authorities as 55-year-old Shannon Alan Griffin.
This is developing story. Additional information will be provided as it becomes available.
- Dave & Dujanovic: What to do in an active shooter situation
- Former Utah police chief shares insight into active shooter response
- Police and medics train for active shooter
- Jewish synagogue in Utah holds active shooter training
Today’s Top Stories
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Air Force unveils newest stealth bomber aircraft
- Former Utah Sen. Jake Garn to be honored with art tribute on Saturday
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Morning storms impact school schedules
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse