A two-car crash in Tooele County kills one person
TOOELE COUNTY, Utah — A two-car accident in Tooele County early Saturday morning left one person dead.
According to the Utah Highway Patrol, the accident occurred at 4:19 a.m. A cement truck was traveling northeast near milepost 1 on SR-179 at the Parachute Lane intersection. A Dodge Durango was driving westbound on Pole Canyon Road, heading toward Grantsville.
The Durango, according to UHP, failed to stop for the stop sign. As a result, it was hit on the driver side by the cement truck. The driver of the Durango died at the scene. The driver of the cement truck suffered minor injuries.
The victim has been identified as Oscar Villegas, 61, of West Jordan. The intersection was closed for about an hour as the area was cleaned up and authorities conducted their investigation.
The intersection has only been opened for a week, and UHP is reminding drivers to pay attention to signs in the area. UHP is also asking drivers to make sure they come to a complete stop, slow down and pay attention to the road.
- New Midvalley highway and I-80 interchange comes to Tooele County
- Southbound I-15 backed up by three car crashes in Roy
Today’s Top Stories
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- Senate passes bill to protect same-sex and interracial marriage in landmark vote
- Oath Keepers boss guilty of seditious conspiracy in 1/6 case
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- What to do after a fender bender in snowy weather?