How to handle difficult conversations with loved ones about masks and vaccines this holiday season
With the holidays right around the corner, and loved ones are finally getting the opportunity to spend time together. But how do we brooch the topic of controversial opinions on masks and vaccines? Psychologist and licensed therapist Dr. Catherine Athans says it’s best to be patient and listen to differing views.
Talk About it:
“It’s better to talk about it and see what others are thinking or feeling, and don’t leave things unsaid.” Dr. Athans said on Utah’s Morning News on Monday.
Entering the holiday season with a greater sense of empathy and understanding is the best way to approach any difficult encounters you may find yourself in.
If there are places or events where loved ones can’t or are unwilling to go, it’s simple to reschedule a get-together for a future date.
“It’s good to talk about it and remind yourself that you love these people, and to express your love and to meet up at another time.”
Another vital suggestion, don’t print out articles with the set intention of changing a loved one’s viewpoints.
“The most important thing to remember this holidays season is that it’s a celebration of gratitude.” She emphasized.
“Doesn’t matter where you are, but it matters where you start counting your blessings.”
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: Family of missing Stanton Porter releases statement regarding his death
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes boom that rattles Salt Lake Valley
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Three people charged after staged kidnapping for YouTube video, police say
- SLCPD activate OICI following the death of a suspect in police custody
- Police activate endangered missing advisory for 18-month-old boy
- Man fatally shoots self after crashing car into barricade near US Capitol Building
- Some Capitol rioters try to profit from their Jan. 6 crimes
- Teen missing from Layton found safe in Salt Lake City
- UPDATE: Missing man in Payson Canyon found