Missing Missouri child found safe in St. George hotel
ST. GEORGE, Utah — A missing 7-year-old child from Missouri was found safe Wednesday in a St. George hotel, according to St. George police.
According to the St. George Police Department, the department received a call from the police department in St. Charles, Missouri at 10 a.m. Missouri authorities informed St. George police about a female in a hotel within the city limits of St. George, who had a NCIC warrant for the abduction and kidnapping of the 7-year-old.
In coordination with the FBI, Department of Homeland Security and the St. Charles Police Department, St. George police were able to safely recover the child, while taking the suspect into custody.
As authorities approached the hotel, they were able to confirm the suspect’s car through a license plate reader. Police made contact with the suspect, who has been identified as Valerie Baker. Baker is the birth mother of the missing Missouri child. According to police, however, she was not allowed to have custody of the child.
As she was taking into custody, Baker was combative with police and was charged with resisting arrest.
The child is currently in Utah DCFS custody, who is working along with the Missouri DCFS to get the child back to her family.
St. George police did not have information on the extradition of the suspect.
- 1-year-old kidnapped from American Fork home has been rescued, police say
- Three more arrested in case of kidnapped and murdered Kearns woman
Today’s Top Stories
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- BYU students win international award for video game
- ‘Sketched out’ University of Idaho students return to campus from break with…
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Snowball Express arrives at Salt Lake City Airport
- Senate passes Romney-sponsored bill to fund Great Salt Lake study
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run