Reliable childcare hard to find for estimated half a million families
SALT LAKE CITY — Reliable childcare is hard to come by for Utahns, according to data from a recent report. And local experts say more than half of Utah families have both parents working outside the home.
“54% of children under age six live in families with a need,” said childcare policy advocate Erin Jemison. “If we want our economy to keep running, if we want businesses to be able to find employees — which is arguably their number one concern right now in this tight labor market — those employees often need childcare.”
And when those employees don’t have reliable childcare, fewer people can enter the workforce. And that’s when we’re already seeing the impacts of the Great Resignation.
State lawmakers resurrected and passed a bill that lets in-home care providers care for more children at once. Until this bill passed, childcare providers in your home could only care for four children at once. Now they can care for up to six.
Lawmakers also gave money to centers that contract with employers, but advocates call this a blip in the state’s overall need.
The daycare industry is also struggling more so than others for workers. The Wells Fargo study shows *employment* in the daycare industry is 12 percent below pre-pandemic levels. The report shows a lot of Day-Care workers left over low pay, and early pandemic shutdowns.
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police: Gunman fired more than 70 rounds at July 4 parade, 7 dead
- Highland Drive open after closing for hours due to fatal crash involving Coke truck
- Early morning crash on I-15 kills motorcyclist
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- Deuel Creek Fire continues to burn, officials hopeful for more containment
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- Highland Park parade shooting suspect charged with 7 counts of murder, state’s attorney says