Man arrested after disarming police officer, firing the gun
OGDEN, Utah – On Sunday, police responded to reports that a man had punched a woman and ran off at a gas station. Officers found a man walking towards the Costco on Wall Avenue that matched the description of the suspect.
The suspect, identified as 29-year-old Dana Lydell Smith, began to run when he saw officers. The officers caught up to the suspect when a physical altercation broke out.
During the altercation, Smith took a gun from one of the officers and fired it. The shot didn’t hit anybody and the officers subdued Smith by using a taser. Smith was taken to the hospital before being booked into Weber County Jail for investigation of multiple charges.
Smith will likely be charged with disarming an officer, assault with a dangerous weapon, and unlawful discharge of a weapon. He may face additional charges such as failure to stop at the command of a police officer, interfering with an officer, failure to disclose his identity and assault.
Today’s Top Stories
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Staff member at school in southern Utah arrested for alleged sexual abuse
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Fire in West Valley City home contained to one room in basement
- Suspect in I-15 shooting named, booked into jail
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- Air Force unveils newest stealth bomber aircraft