Man arrested after disarming police officer, firing the gun
OGDEN, Utah – On Sunday, police responded to reports that a man had punched a woman and ran off at a gas station. Officers found a man walking towards the Costco on Wall Avenue that matched the description of the suspect.
The suspect, identified as 29-year-old Dana Lydell Smith, began to run when he saw officers. The officers caught up to the suspect when a physical altercation broke out.
During the altercation, Smith took a gun from one of the officers and fired it. The shot didn’t hit anybody and the officers subdued Smith by using a taser. Smith was taken to the hospital before being booked into Weber County Jail for investigation of multiple charges.
Smith will likely be charged with disarming an officer, assault with a dangerous weapon, and unlawful discharge of a weapon. He may face additional charges such as failure to stop at the command of a police officer, interfering with an officer, failure to disclose his identity and assault.
Today’s Top Stories
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Delta pilots picketing in Salt Lake City and across the country
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Party ban becomes permanent for Airbnb
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Supreme Court widens state power over tribes. What does it mean for Utah?
- Supreme Court says Biden can end Trump-era ‘Remain in Mexico’ immigration policy