CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Utah judge cancels hearing on trans athlete ruling in favor of written opinion
Aug 16, 2022, 10:04 AM | Updated: Dec 30, 2022, 11:19 am
SALT LAKE CITY — Third District Court Judge Keith Kelly has canceled a hearing that was scheduled for today involving a lawsuit filed against the Utah High School Activities Association.
The hearing was scheduled to issue a ruling from the bench on a request for a preliminary injunction against a Utah law that bans transgender athletes from competing in girls’ high school sports.
In an order filed yesterday, Kelly said that a written opinion would be the best way to resolve the preliminary injunction motion. A portion of the order reads:
Having deliberated further, the Court concludes (a) that a written opinion is the best way to address the significant and complex constitutional issues raised by the preliminary injunction motion, and (b) that, while a prompt decision is important, a written opinion may take longer than 8/16/22 to complete.
The judge also set a new scheduling and case management conference call for Aug. 22 in order to establish a case schedule and set a trial date.
Our previous coverage:
- Judge considering injunction to allow transgender girls to play girls high school sports
- Utah families file lawsuit challenging transgender ban in girls’ sports
- Lawmakers overturn Gov. Cox’s veto on transgender athlete bill, make change immediately after
- Transgender athlete ban vetoed by governor, lawmakers call special session
Attorneys for three transgender girls have asked a judge to grant an injunction from Utah’s law governing transgender youth in school sports. The law in question bars these individuals from competing in high school sports of the gender they identify with.
The ban was passed earlier this year by the Utah legislature.
The girls could make their individual cases to play sports to the UHSAA if the injunction is granted. If the judge blocks the ban the state will activate a commission to decide, on an individual basis, if each transgender child can compete.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Two found dead after shooting at Cache County home
- Identities released of Hyrum couple found dead in their home
- Utah County Sheriff arrests driver accused in road rage deaths
- Seven months into Adderall shortage, expert offers advice
- Former Gov. Herbert on field of 2024 GOP presidential candidates
- Utah will loan first-time homebuyers $20,000 for new homes
- Man urges pet owners to be cautious around rivers after Oliver the dog was swept away
- Four Republicans on board to run for Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Weber, Box Elder, Davis, Tooele counties
- Lawmaker says Bible ban didn’t follow the law he helped create