South Jordan dedicates Gold Star Memorial Monument
SOUTH JORDAN, Utah — A Gold Star Families Memorial Monument will be dedicated Wednesday evening in South Jordan.
It’s the first such monument to be built in Salt Lake County. And it’s just the third in the state, according to a news release from the city of South Jordan.
These monuments honor the families of those military member who have lost their lives, while defending the nation.
“We are excited to be dedicating this monument that was more than a year in the making,” said South Jordan Mayor Dawn Ramsey in a news release. “We hope that this monument lets our South Jordan Gold Star Families know how much their city truly appreciates them and their sacrifice.”
These monuments are made out of black granite and are two-sided. One side says, “Gold Star Families Memorial Monument, a tribute to Gold Star Families and Relatives who sacrificed a Loved One for our Freedom.”
On the other side of the monument, there are four panels that have scenes etched into them. The scenes are of homeland, family, patriot and sacrifice. In the middle, there is a silhouette of a service member, who is saluting. This represents the Legacy of the Loved Ones who have given their lives in defense of this nation.
According to the news release, several Gold Star families will be in attendance Wednesday evening, as will local leaders. Additionally, Rep. Burgess Owens will attend the event and will provide some remarks.
The ceremony will be held at the South Jordan Public Safety Building, located at 10655 S. Redwood Road at 7 p.m.
- Utah leaders share their thoughts about Memorial Day
- Gov. Cox orders flags lowered to honor Utah marine killed in Afghanistan
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says