Record-breaking trends going on at Weber State University
OGDEN, Utah — Enrollment and retention numbers at Weber State University are trending upwards in a record-breaking way, according to a news release.
Currently, the university has 29,914 students, which is the largest student body WSU has ever had. That comes on the heels of an all-time record number of degrees handed out at the conclusion of the 2021-22 academic year.
Of the nearly 30,000 students attending WSU, first-time student enrollment increased by 1.3%.
“It’s exciting to see the number of students being served by Weber State continuing to grow,” said WSU president Brad Mortensen in a news release. “It’s a great opportunity for us to meet these students where they are and help guide them to find their passion and complete a meaningful degree at Weber State.”
WSU is also known for being a dual mission university, which is another factor in its increase in student enrollment. The university offers certificates along with two-year and four-year degrees.
“The dual mission is a student-centered model that makes for an easier transition for those who want to work toward a bachelor’s degree and beyond,” Mortensen said. “It’s a unique model that we hope will keep students here for the duration of their education because we’re offering everything under one roof and meeting the needs of an increasingly diverse population, particularly those of underrepresented students.”
According to Mortensen, the dual mission model has the possibility of bolstering retention. He says the number of students who finish their associates and go on to earn a bachelor’s degree is much higher at a place like WSU.
- Two Weber State University officers seriously injured on I-15 SB
- Weber State University’s unsung perks
Today’s Top Stories
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- BYU students win international award for video game
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Senate passes Romney-sponsored bill to fund Great Salt Lake study
- Snowball Express arrives at Salt Lake City Airport
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success